Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of Year Update on Goals

At the end of last year I set myself four goals. This was then complemented with a To Do List that in time became, effectively, a fifth goal. As we near the end of the year, then, how did those shape up?
  • Books: I completed book 60 with three days to spare, and have read 13 books from The List this year. However, many of those 13 are re-reads, and I did not complete the British part of The List as I had intended. That's a mixed fortune, but I'm not too despondent about it - The List now contains 33 unread entries, 4 from the British side, 31 from the American (and 2 on both).
  • Weight: This is failed, but... I'm now set up with a fairly aggressive schedule at the gym, so I'm hopeful of getting this moving in the new year. Maybe - I've been saying that for years.
  • Blogging: This is a clear success - I completed 60 posts exactly on The Imaginarium, and passed my target here with a little to spare.
  • Redecorate the Study: This was completed in October. I would quite like to get a new curtain for the room, but it's not urgent - we never close it anyway, so it would be purely decorative. A second clear success!
  • The To-Do List: This was likewise completed. Further, I reached a point where I didn't really have any major tasks to add, never mind several in order to warrant a list. So that was good.
So that's four goals completed, albeit one with a significant caveat, and one failed utterly. That's not terrible, though the fact that it's that same goal that's falling short year after year is annoying. For 2020 I'm going to set four goals again, though I can only really talk about three of them (and the fourth is largely beyond my control anyway...) So here goes:
  • Books: The goal for 2020 is the traditional 60 books for the year. I'm not going to set myself a specific goal as regards The List, though where I find myself without a clear next choice I'll prioritize those books over others. I'm also not going to be setting up sublists for this year, as I've basically run out of ideas on that front.
  • Weight: Again, the goal is the same - to end the year 20 pounds lighter than I started.
  • Blogging: And, again, the goal is the same: 120 posts here, plus 60 on The Imaginarium.
  • Work: This is the goal I can't talk about.
And that's it. Three fairly routine goals, and one that may well be beyond my ability to influence anyway. As with last year, I'd quite like to sort out something gaming-related, outside of the work game, but my feeling is that 2020 is not going to be the year for getting that done.

No comments: