Friday, November 20, 2020

If Looks Could Kill...

I would have died rather confused yesterday.

I've been feeling pretty lousy all week (almost certainly just because I ate something that didn't agree with me - certainly nothing to do with Covid). And, amongst various tweaks to try to improve my general health, I've decided to start taking a vitamin D supplement, as that deficiency is rife in Scotland. (In previous years I think I've probably been okay, but this year has of course seen me spending a lot more time indoors than previously... especially now.)

So I went to an appropriate shop and picked up said vitamin D supplement. Heading to the checkouts from there, I noticed that the one directly in front of me had a single customer who was just finishing up - and indeed had finished up by the time I got there. So, rather than head to the self-checkout (and potentially have to wait for authorisation to buy what is, after all, medicine), I figured I'd take advantage of the lull and go there.

Except that the checkout assistant gave me the blackest look, and doubled down on it when I said "just that, please". It was most odd.

I suppose it's just about possible that it's about minimising contact - yes, it was just one item, and yes I could have gone to self-checkout and possibly have reduced the contact by one. But I really didn't expect something so blandly inoffensive to become blog-worthy!

Anyway, in other news: this weekend just can't come soon enough!

No comments: