Monday, June 28, 2021

Experimental Cookery 2021: Smoky Prawns Cooked in Foil

For Father's Day, and in preparation for the Birthday BBQ, I received a copy of Tom Kerridge's "Outdoor Cooking". This is the first meal I've cooked from it. It amounts to some prawns in a sauce, sealed in a foil packet and left to cook on the BBQ.

In terms of preparation, this meal was quick and easy - build the package and add the prawns, melt together all the parts of the sauce, add the sauce to the prawns, and then cook on the BBQ.

Unfortunately, something then went somewhat wrong - after the appointed time I opened the packet only to discover that the prawns weren't fully cooked. Still, that was easy solved by the application of a few minutes in a frying pan.

Once done, the result was excellent. In the end we had way too much food for the BBQ as a whole, which meant that there were a significant number of prawns left (which was a shame), but everyone who tried them really enjoyed them. They were a good addition to what turned out to be an excellent BBQ (more on that later).

LC and I will definitely be having this again. However, I intend to do far fewer prawns in future, and consequently with less sauce. I'll also use a larger packet, so it can lie flatter on the BBQ, and probably for longer next time. Hopefully that will all lead to more effective cooking - though, ultimately it was an easy fix, so I'm not too concerned.

I'm calling that a win.

No comments: