Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Experimental Cookery 2021: Chicken Dim Sum

This one was our main meal on Hogmanay, but I didn't have a chance to update the blog at the time and so it carries over into the new year. It comes from Jamie's "Fifteen Minute Meals" - I certainly make no claim to authenticity! And, the final thing of note, was that this was a chance for me to try out my latest toy, being a set of bamboo steamers.

This was a quick and easy meal to prepare, although it did have the usual chaos of too many things happening at once which is a feature of the 15MM book. A calmer approach is probably more beneficial here (and in general) - better not even to try to hit that benchmark.

I did find that the dough was rather tricky to work with. Having watched some videos online I'm pretty sure I see my problem (much more flour on the rolling surface), but will confirm next time I do this. My other key mistake was that I didn't steam the buns for long enough - they need at least 12 minutes.

The end result, though, was rather nice. We'll certainly have this, and some variants, again - the steamer proved to be extremely easy and convenient, so I'll be looking for options to use it more often in future.

And that's about that, really.

#1: "Sly Flourish's The Lazy Dungeon Master", by Michael E. Shea

No comments: