Monday, May 02, 2022

School Holidays

At time of writing, it is still my intention to skip the Council Elections on Thursday - I've reached a point where voting even for the "least worst" makes me feel bad, so I'm going to skip it.

That said, I have found a policy that probably would win my vote, if someone were to put it forward at the next Holyrood elections...

I was working out my vacation for the upcoming year, with the intent of working it around the school holidays. With Funsize starting school in August, this meant matching up with her school calendar as well as Lady Chocolat's, so I went and took a look.

For the most part, the outcome isn't too bad - by and large the holidays line up apart from a day here and there, and with LC not working on Mondays and Tuesdays that's manageable. But there are three things...:

  • The October week is cunningly misaligned by a week, meaning that there is virtually no time when we're all off together and no scope for getting away.
  • The Christmas holiday comes to an end much earlier in one council area than the other, leading to a load of dead time when I'd frankly like to get back to work but now can't.
  • And there are the "Staff Development Days", which inevitably all fall on Mondays and Tuesdays, while means I need to take time to deal with those.

The upshot of all of that is that about a quarter of my holiday is burned on dealing with the childcare implications of the councils failing to synchronise.

So, if any political party wants my vote, here's a nice, easy policy to put forward: we'll impose a unified school calendar across all councils in Scotland, for the benefit of people who have to deal with multiple such calendars.

#14: "The Darkest Road", by Guy Gavriel Kay
#15: "The Stand", by Stephen King (a book from The List; four to go)

No comments: