Friday, August 12, 2022

Experimental Cookery 2022: Piri Piri Pheasant

As part of that same box of stuff from the Wild Meat Company, we had a pack of four pheasant breasts marinaded in a piri piri sauce. These then formed the basis of a simple meal earlier in the week - we had them with some rice and some salad.

Cooking the pheasant was a bit tricky. Having looked online, I saw some wildly different cooking times and approaches. In the end, I pan fried them in a little butter for a few minutes on each side, and the finished them off in the oven. The upshot was that they were definitely cooked, but they were probably over-cooked - they were really quite dry.

Taste-wise, these were fine. It was a nice marinade, the meal was different but not unpleasant, and the rice and the salad went well. Unfortunately, Surprise! hasn't been at all well all week, and consequently our mealtime was extremely disturbed; I don't think either LC or I really would have enjoyed any meal that night, and I'm afraid the dryness here didn't help.

Ultimately, I think we won't have these again, mostly because I doubt we'll order that same box again, and without doing so it's unlikely we'll have pheasant. A shame, but there it is.

There is now only one item remaining from that box: we have a couple of venison steaks. These should be much more reliable, so I'm looking forward to getting them used up.

No comments: