Monday, August 29, 2022

Like Riding a Bike...

The last time I rode a bike was about 25 years ago. Unfortunately, the area around where I lived was never really well suited to getting about by bike, the distances I routinely travelled were either too short or too long to justify it, and so as soon as I could drive it became largely obsolete. Technically, I still own a bike, but I suspect that it's now so far gone that it would be better to invest in an entirely new one if I were so inclined.

None of which really matters, since this post isn't actually about me knowing how to ride a bike.

Almost immediately after she was born, Funsize was gifted a bike by a neighbour whose daughter had outgrown it. Some time later, she started riding with stabilizers, and then with a balance handle. But the next, and final, step is to learn to ride without support. And that has proven tricky.

Unfortunately, it is also something that has been hampered by my return to the office, by my failure to schedule regular lessons... and also by a failure to see a way to teach it in a systematic manner. I had a feeling it should look like this, and when this failed, I found myself with no alternative approach to try.

None of which is ideal, since it leaves Funsize not yet able to ride without aid, leaves me frustrated at my failure to teach, and generally leaves us stuck.

Though I do now have an approach to try that looks like it might work. Watch this space...

No comments: