Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Money's Worth?

Almost exactly three months ago, LC and I took an offer for 3 months of subscription to NOW TV. We mostly got this so that we could watch "House of the Dragon", though since we finished that I've used it to watch a few other things:

  • I watched the first season of "Star Trek: Prodigy", which was okay to start with but got much stronger as it went on.
  • We watched "Christmas Carole" together, mostly because of the feature in the Radio Times. The truth is that the bits with the Eric and Ernie tributes were by far the best in the show. They were definitely wise to put those front and center in the marketing. I wouldn't particularly recommend it otherwise.
  • I then watched the two seasons of "Avenue 5", which I finished last night. I very much enjoyed that, and in particular Hugh Laurie's performance.
My general feeling is that NOW TV is the least good of the subscriptions we've had so far - it seems to have the fewest "must watch" items, it suffers from having adverts, it doesn't include the movie package (which is standard for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+), and it's not particularly cheap. So I won't be renewing. We may pick it up again later in the year for the second season of "House of the Dragon", but that may be contingent on getting another deal.

That said, I don't particularly regret paying the money - there was enough there to justify the cost given the deal that was offered. We got our money's worth.

#1: "The Fountainhead", by Ayn Rand (a book from The List; two to go)
#2: "Tome of Beasts 3", by Kobold Publishing


No comments: