Tuesday, January 17, 2023

His Dark Materials

LC and I finished the third and final season of "His Dark Materials" last week, and it's... fine. As with the books, the series seemed to get weaker and weaker as it went on - season two is largely forgettable, and then season three starts with four filler episodes in a row.

It's well made and well acted, and the gap in production enforced by Covid really helped in some ways (especially with the ages of the child stars). But I must admit that it made me increasingly uncomfortable as it went - the material was a fairly naked attack on Catholicism in particular, and on Christianity in the round. So we're maybe not the best people to be objective about it.

Do I recommend it? Yes, mostly, but not wholeheartedly. I suspect it may now be better now that you can binge the whole thing, so the only real question is whether you can stomach the content.

And that's that, I think.

No comments: