Wednesday, September 28, 2011

War, Peace, and other books

I am now 500 pages into "War and Peace", well over halfway through. It has been fairly tough going, but it's also interesting seeing how all the various plot threads are interwoven and how the book as a whole is constructed. I've concluded that I don't agree with Tolstoy's primary argument, that kings and generals are basically history's slaves, but that's a discussion for another day, I think.

In a couple of weeks, I'll reach the end of Volume Two, at which time I will take a short break to instead read "Empire of Silver", Conn Iggulden's latest novel. With "Les Miserables", and again with "War and Peace", I've found that building in a break like that helps me avoid gettting bogged down.

I have decided to abandon my read through of the 1st Edition "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" hardbacks. In all honesty, they're just not all that interesting, with the exception of the "Dungeon Master's Guide", and there is a marked decrease in quality as they go. Besides, I've decided I have no actual intention of running the game, ever, so wading through the rulebooks seems rather pointless. Perhaps in the years to come, when I'm really bored, I'll get back to them.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of working down the stack of books. I have more than enough reading material to last me until the end of the year. Next year could be quite interesting, though, as there will be an influx of new books arriving...

No comments: