Thursday, July 25, 2019

Good Omens

"Good Omens" by Pratchett and Gaiman is probably my favourite novel of all time. (Which isn't quite the same as being the best novel I've ever read, which is probably Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" - much as "Star Wars" is my favourite film but "Schindler's List" is probably the best I've seen.) It's one of very few novels I've read on more than one occasion, and one of a vanishingly small number, mostly by Pratchett, that I've read thrice. The combination of two great, but very different, authors writing at the height of their powers, combined with the subject matter, is pretty much made for me.

So it was with some concern that I anticipated the TV adaptation because, as it is written, the book is always better. The fact that it was written by Neil Gaiman, who is now an accomplished scriptwriter, and that he was doing it pretty much as a last request by Terry, helped a little. And the casting of David Tennant and Martin Sheen as the odd couple at the heart of the story, helped too. But could it really do the novel justice?

The answer, surprisingly, is "yes". Mostly. The book is still better, but the series is very good.

(LC and I happened to be in a position to watch this due to our recently getting a Prime subscription. That's a whole other topic, as I'm not terribly happy at doing business with Amazon - I'm very much not a fan of the way they treat their staff or their tax arrangements, or the fact that they pretty much killed off my FLGS and are bringing death to book shops across the country; they're basically the least ethical country I'll still to business with. But, as I said, that's another rant.)

Anyway, Good Omens.

As expected, the central pairing of Tennant and Sheen are very good. The surrounding cast are likewise excellent. I also approved a great deal of taking large sections of the prose from the novel and putting it into the 'mouth' of the narrator - this brings one of the great strengths of the book across to the adaptation and gives the whole thing a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" feel (no bad thing).

I was a little dismayed that all three of my top-three moments from the book were missing from the adaptation, but I guess they had to cut something. And there's enough there that those three are probably amongst the least-painful cuts they could have made (from a storytelling, rather than personal, point of view). So there's that.

One of my colleagues has noted that he really didn't like the last episode because the climax all felt a bit low-budget and, well, crap. I tend to disagree with that assessment - yes, it did seem a bit low-budget but I think that's the point: this isn't a glossy American production with an endless CGI budget; this is what happens when the End of the World happens in Nowhere, England and is just a bit, um, quaint.

Oh yes, and I'm very glad that the end of this series appears to be The End. No need to spin this one out to a second and subsequent series, thank you very much!

And that's that. Do I recommend it? Yes, absolutely. Is it as good as the book? Well, no, but it wasn't going to be. But it's as good as it probably can be.

No comments: