Tuesday, March 10, 2020

New Mini-list

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwell, and over the years I've read most of the novels that he has published. But there has always been one massive gap: I haven't really tackled many of his Sharpe novels, despite these being his most famous works. The reason for this is that my experience of "Sharpe's Waterloo" was not terribly good - it all felt just a bit too close to the TV episode of the same name.

However, I have been struggling for new series to read for some time, and so following a happier encounter with "Sharpe's Rifles" I have now settled on that series of novels as one of my mini-lists for 2020 (and into 2021).

According to Wikipedia there are 21 novels in all, plus three short stories. Of these, I have now read five. That means that I should finish the series around June next year, which is pretty good.

(That said, I am somewhat mindful of the possibility that I might find the next few too close to the series again, in which case I'll rethink my approach. But here's hoping that "Waterloo" was something of an outlier - I have reason to think that that might well be the case.)

#11: "Sharpe's Havoc", by Bernard Cornwell

No comments: