Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Doctors, re-rated

Some time ago I rated the various Doctors. This post provides an updated list, so that I have a single point of reference...

Note: I'm not going to repeat everything from the previous post, so this list may seem a bit bare-bones.

  1. The Fourth Doctor: Tom Baker: The obvious choice, and still the best.
  2. The Tenth Doctor: David Tennant: Another obvious choice, and the best of the 'new' Doctors.
  3. The Eleventh: Matt Smith: I know he wasn't everyone's favourite, but I liked him. I was especially impressed with his first season.
  4. The Fifth: Peter Davison: He's my Doctor, so he's always going to be high on the list.
  5. The Twelfth: Peter Capaldi: Started poorly, but ended strong. He's probably the best actor ever to hold the role, but unfortunately the Moffat era was losing steam by the time he took over. But he benefited enormously by being able to play off against Missy.
  6. The Ninth: Christopher Eccleston: First of the 'new' Doctors, this was another one who ended much better than he started. Probably the single worst feature of the new series is that we didn't get enough from this Doctor. But then, Eccleston saying "no" gave us first David Tennant and then William Hurt, so it's not all bad.
  7. The Third: Jon Pertwee: Another classic.
  8. "Doctor Ruth": Jo Martin: The first of the "Doctors with Potential", I do like what Jo Martin has done with the role, and would like to see more. That said, I have a big problem with her placement in the canon, which is a bit of an issue. But that's a problem with the material, not the performance.
  9. The Eighth: Paul McGann: Bad TV movie, good short appearance later. Another Doctor I would very much have liked to see more of.
  10. The War Doctor: John Hurt: Another one I would very much have liked to see more of. Alas, it was not to be, and now the chance is gone.
  11. The Sixth: Colin Baker: A spectacularly misjudged first episode and a terrible costume relegates what could have been a good performance towards the bottom of the list. A shame - I felt he was poorly served.
  12. The Seventh: Sylvester McCoy: The man who really brought the curtain down on the classic era, he's mostly at the bottom of the list of 'old' Doctors because somebody has to be.
  13. The Thirteenth: Jodie Whittaker: My view is that, more than anything, she's just really badly served with the material. Unfortunately, the performance that she's being asked to give really grates. So unless the next series is stellar, I'm hard pressed to believe she'll be climbing the list.

As before, I haven't included the First or the Second on the list. One day I may take out a subscription to Britbox and watch the stories (or borrow some DVDs or something), but until then I don't have enough familiarity with the extant material to fairly judge them.

And that's that... until next time.

No comments: