Monday, March 09, 2020

Time To Let Go?

I've been on a bit of a "Firefly" kick since the start of the year, reading through three of the new graphic novels by Boom! Studios and the first of the new "Firefly" novels, "Big Damn Hero". And for the most part I've been enjoying them - they do a decent job capturing the spirit of the show and the various characters, the plots move on at a decent clip, and while they're not exactly high literature they are at least entertaining.

But I can't help but consider that "Firefly" was a show that ran for a single season in 2002-03, which was then followed by the film "Serenity" in 2005. That's now fifteen years ago, or more than a third of my life.

(Of course, in that time we have had persistent but unrealised rumours that there was going to be a continuation of some form. I've long thought that that would be a bad idea, especially following the death of Ron Glass. If they're to bring it back, my preference would be for a complete reboot - leave the original to stand as it is, and see if the concept has legs. But that's just me.)

The upshot of this is that I'm thinking maybe it's better to just let "Firefly" go. It was good, it's done, move on...

#10: "Firefly: Big Damn Hero", by James Lovegrove

No comments: