Sunday, April 05, 2020

Experimental Cookery 2020: Shepherd's Pie

I have, of course, made shepherd's pie before, but this one comes from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Love Your Leftovers", a book that has been generally useful and that is really showing its value just now. This was also my opportunity to use up the 550g of leftover roas lamb from last week.

As with the Hairy Bikers version (which, oddly, I don't seem to have posted about), this was not terribly difficult but was extremely time consuming - I was basically at work on it for two hours start to finish, with relatively little downtime during the process. But that's fine - there's a reason I set aside a weekend day for this.

The end result was great, being a marked improvement over the Hairy Bikers version (though largely due to the leftover roast lamb rather than the mince). And in addition to large portions for each of us, I was left with four more portions for later use. So that's good, too.

I'm not sure when I'll do this again, as we tend not to have roast lamb all that often, and are left with large amounts afterwards even more seldom, but I'm sure we will at some point rely on this one. Either way, it makes for a really useful option to have available.

No comments: