Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Tribute to My Wife

A week ago on Friday, Emma Brockes in the Guardian wrote, "We are all working on our time management skills, while realising that the only really valuable time management tool is a wife to watch the kids."

I'm not entirely sure whether this was an attempt at humour or something less pleasant, but that comment did strike me at the time, and has stayed in my mind since. Of course, that's because there is a nugget of truth to what she says.

The simple fact is that I couldn't still be working from home full-time were it not for LC being both willing and able to look after Funsize to allow me to do so. Of course, that's not entirely a matter of choice (since my working means I still get paid, which means the bills still get paid, which means a major worry is lifted.) However, I'm also well aware that it's not an easy ride, and would not be her preferred use for her days. As much as LC sometimes complains about her job, I'm convinced that she would prefer to be out doing that.

And, of course, there are also different ways that one can react to the necessities of the days - accepting things and carrying on with grace is not the only way to proceed. Things could be a lot harder than they have been... and that's largely down to LC.

Of course, the upshot of all of this is that I've come to the stunning revelation that a marriage (and indeed raising children) is a partnership. And like all partnerships, it works best of both partners do their bit to complement the other. That doesn't necessarily mean a 50/50 split of everything, since it's likely that aptitudes and interests will differ. But it does (or should) mean both doing thier share, and if need be stepping up to support the other in difficult times.

It is now eight years since LC made the crazy mistake of becoming my wife. Those eight years have been amongst the very best of my life, filled with very many more good times than bad (or even indifferent). She was, is, and remains my best friend, and I count myself very lucky (especially in the current crisis) to have met and married her.

And that is all I have to say about that. At least for now.

No comments: