Friday, March 18, 2022

Anniversary (not that one)

Today marks the two-year anniversary of my switching to working from home. Which probably deserves at least some recognition.

Funnily enough, this anniversary comes at a time when the country is engaging in a fascinating experiment: is it possible for the people of a country to gaslight themselves? The thing is, the pandemic is very clearly not over. And yet we're engaged in a crazy process of getting rid of all the remaining measures that were put in place to protect us. And so, in order to justify the madness, we're collectively pretending to ourselves that it's all over, even as cases, hospital admissions, and fatalities all rise.

Work have been talking about us returning to the office for some time. I'm not sure when that will eventually happen, though I suspect it will be sooner rather than later. (It would be really convenient if it happened some time after July 1st, but I doubt I'll be that lucky.)

The truth is that I have very mixed feelings about a return to the office. It's adding five hours to my work week, and maybe £150 to my monthly fuel bills, which sucks. On the other hand, there is a community aspect to work that has been missing, to an extent. My answer, I suppose, is the same as it has always been: I'll go back when they ask me to, but not until then.

No comments: