Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Presenteeism

LC was unwell on Sunday, and as the day wore on I found myself coming down with whatever it was. On Monday I woke up feeling pretty terrible.

Now, in times gone past I would probably have taken the view that I was, just about, capable of getting through the work day. It would have been horrible, but it could be done. And since I'm still working from home, the decision should have been even easier.

Except that we're not in the same world as in times past. The pandemic has changed a very many things, and one of those key things that we really need to ditch is the culture of presenteeism - the view that one should attend work right up to the point where you literally keel over... and even if your being there represents a danger of infection to your colleagues (and, therefore, to the wellbeing of the company as a whole).

Of course, all of this is made simpler by company policy, which is that people who are ill should stay home and focus on getting well.

The upshot is that I was off sick on Monday, and had a not at all restful day. In all honesty, it would probably have been better had I gone to work after all. I woke up on Tuesday initially feeling better, but the thermoter said otherwise, so again I didn't go in. And by mid-morning was feeling considerably better.

Today I'm back at work. I'm definitely not 100%, but getting there.

#11: "Protector", by Conn Iggulden

No comments: