Monday, May 15, 2023

Worryingly Fixed

After a few failed attempts, I managed to fix our BBQ at the weekend - I'd sourced and purchased a new regulator and hose some time ago, but found that actually fitting the hose was remarkably difficult. But after several attempts, the application of washing up liquid and boiling water, and the strategic use of a glove, I managed to get it into place. Then the clips were appropriately tightened, and the job was done!

At this point, per the advice I'd seen about doing the job I checked for leaks using an officially-branded product for this task. (It was actually just "bubble goo" - the very same stuff that the kids use for blowing bubbles. But since the consistency of these things varies, I was somewhat comforted by getting an official product just to be sure.)

So, anyway, I checked. No bubbles. Then I checked again, just to be extra sure. It really, really doesn't have any leaks.

And yet...

I find that there's a tiny part of me that would rather that the repair had definitively failed. That would have forced the purchase of a new BBQ, which isn't something I want to do, but could be preferable.

Because there's a tiny part of me that just won't be happy with this one until I've actually used the BBQ to actually cook some food. I'm absolutely certain that the parts used are good, I'm absolutely certain that the fitting is correct, and I'm absolutely certain that there aren't any leaks. So there's no reasonable doubt as to the efficacy of the fix. But there is still an unreasonable doubt to contend with.

No comments: