Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Gala Day Season Ends

On Saturday my band played at the Broxburn gala day, thus bringing to an end our summer. We have a couple of events late next month, and then a couple at Christmas, but the bulk of our year's programme of events is now complete.

Broxburn itself was about as good as a gala day can be: we got really nice weather, the crowds were out in force, and the parade took about an hour and we played for almost all of it - getting through our repertoire of marching tunes roughly twice (we didn't play one set at all, played one set only once, and played a few sets three times). I always prefer events were we play a lot - the time just passes much more quickly, and although it's a lot more effort, just marching along in silence gets really boring. If we're there to play, let's do that!

For the rest of it, there's not much to say: my time in the band continues to do what I wanted it to do, which is to give me motivation to keep practicing and so stay sharp (ish). I'm very glad not to have the pressure or time commitment of competition to deal with. And while I do feel I could be stretched a bit more and we could do a bit more learning of new tunes, and while I do miss teaching students, I'm disinclined to try to change either of these things.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: