Thursday, December 31, 2020

My Year in 2020

This time last year I wrote: 2020 looks like it will probably be the year when those various changes actually come about, and so I expect it to be another very busy year. But, hopefully, it will be a good one.

Dear oh dear.

2020 has been an absolutely disastrous year in so many ways and for so many people that my over-riding view at this point is "thank goodness that's over". And yet...

My Year in... Blogging 

For 2020 I set myself the same goal as in 2019 - 120 posts here and 60 on the Imaginarium. And, despite a major wobble, it looks like both of those goals are set to be achieved, if only just. I'm reasonably happy with that - for a year in which we've done nothing, it is something of a success just to find things to write about.

My Year in... Work

2020 started very well, picking right up where 2019 left off. Then, late in March, we were sent to work from home. This actually worked quite well - we had been equipped with everything we needed to work remotely, albeit for entirely different reasons, and so all of that just carried straight over.

Nonetheless, I had expected things to founder quite quickly - that we'd get through our existing to-do list and then grind to a halt. That actually didn't happen.

The upshot is that the first three-quarters of the year were absolutely outstanding at work.

And then the whole thing came crashing down. The sense that I get now is that the points have switched over, and my career has been moved from the express line to a siding. And there's nothing can be done about it. Looking forward to 2021, it's all just sickening. Gutted.

My Year in... Health

Obviously, this has been a year of real concern, though mostly I've been concerned about others more than about myself - both Lady Chocolat and Funsize have been at considerably more risk than I have been. That said, I had a major health worry about six weeks ago, to the extent that I genuinely thought something was drastically wrong. In the event, it all turned out okay, but that was still a worry.

My main thought for 2021: that vaccine can't come soon enough. (Unfortunately, I don't expect to get it in 2021 - for various reasons I am, rightly, at the back of that queue, and it's going to be a multi-year project.)

My Year in... Gaming

2020 has been a curious year, because the switch to doing everything online has actually opened the floodgates to a bit more gaming - my work game moved online, and when that proved a success that motivated me to start a second, online game. Which has been fun.

There is still something I miss, because there just isn't a real substitute to face-to-face gaming, but I'm in a much better and happier position than I was in 2019.

My Year in... Band

Conversely, 2020 has been disastrous for pipe bands. The lag inherent in online calls has meant that there have been no practices since lockdown began, and all of our events for the year were cancelled.

During lockdown proper, we of course had the "Clap For Carers", at which I was asked to play something. That's pretty much all I've done by way of performing this year, with next year also looking like it may be a slim year (vaccine dependent).

My Year in... Resolutions

As always, the wrap-up of annual goals, and setting of goals for next year, are handled in another post.

My Year in... Travel

I had one two-day trip to Copenhagen early in the year, and was just about planning another when lockdown hit. We also took a long weekend away in October. And that's about it.

My Year in... Faith

This has been a difficult year, because of the difficulties with everything else. Attending church via Facebook really isn't the same as attending in person.

My Year in... Sadness

We have come through 2020 blessedly unscathed, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been without sadness. Unfortunately, Grandma's health continues to decline, and will inevitably continue to do so. And with lockdown her ability to receive visitors has essentially been curtailed. That's really not a good position, and the toll it is taking on people and relationships is very sad.

I also received another piece of very sad news recently - a friend and mentor from the Camelon & District Pipe Band passed away early in December. Apparently he had been ill for some time, but chose not to share this widely (as was his prerogative). There is yet another hole in the world where a person should be.

My Year in... Love

It occurs to me that I have not, until now, mentioned the single most important event of 2020 on this blog at all. Come April next year, and all being well, Lady Chocolat, Funsize and I will be joined by another little Tadpole! That is obviously great, and much-hoped-for news, though I must admit to a certain concern given the situation.

My Year... Overall

2020 has been a bad year. Things are looking up, but that hope is mingled with significant fear - there are just too many unknowns, and too much of that home is just fragile. So while 2021 should be a better year, I find that I face it more apprehensive than anything else.

As always, this will be my final post on this blog for the year, so I'll take the opportunity now to wish anyone still reading a very Happy New Year when it comes. Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments: