Thursday, July 08, 2021

Thank Goodness That's Over!

At the end of my previous post I noted that I have now finished "The Last Druid", which is the last volume in the long-running Shannara series. I'm very glad to have reached the end.

Alas, I don't really have anything good to say about the book, which was a fairly poor end to a decent, if patchy, series. Basically, it felt like a last-volume by numbers - the author had split his story up into too many disparate threads and didn't have enough pages to really cover them all, so it all meanders for a few hundred pages and then just ends. No climax that brought everything together, no great summing up of the themes of the whole thing, and no great capstone moment - just a generally wrapping up of loose ends, and then we're done.

Such a shame.

(And, unfortunately, that means I now have what will most likely be my "weakest book of the year". Which is itself not the worst thing - if the weakest book is just mediocre, rather than terrible, it means it's been a good year.)

No comments: