Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Experimental Cookery Tuesday #34: Evolution Green Salad

Jamie's book contains four different 'jam jar dressings' for use with salads. I have now tried three of the four, and thus far they're all winners. To be honest, though, the first one I tried, the French dressing, is the best so far.

This green salad was a revelation. The concept is quite simple: start with a standard green salad (lettuce leaves dressed with one of the dressings), and 'evolve' it in a number of small steps. In this case, the steps were the addition of bacon, nuts, and parmesan.

The result was simply amazing, being far greater than merely the sum of its parts. In fact, astonishingly, I enjoyed it rather more than the burgers that I had with it. Perhaps it was the lack of chips that made the difference this week...

Anyway, that's 2-0 on the salads, with eight to go. Next up is an "Evolution Potato Salad", which applies much the same principle to boiled potatoes. Could be interesting. Apparently, this one should be served with cheeses; I think I can manage that...

#18: "Pathfinder: House of the Beast" by Tim Hitchcock (and others)

No comments: