Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Goals in Review

Saturday is day 150 of 2009. Isn't it shocking just how fast this year is going? (That said, I can't say I'm sorry to see it go - I knew going in that this would be a bad year, and thus far it has been worse than I had expected.) It also means that the time has come to once again review the goals I set for the year.


  1. Super Secret Goal #1. Yep, this one is moving. I'm going to say no more than that.
  2. Super Secret Goal #2. Abandoned in April; included here for completeness only.
  3. Books. I'm now at 23 books, and should complete the 24th on Thursday. Given that the target was to have read 22 by the end of the month, that's going well. Additionally, I think I have now picked out enough books to see me through until the end of the year.
  4. Weight loss. According to the scales, I am 6 pounds from my target. For the past six weeks, the scales haven't really moved, though; they just fluctuate around this same position. I am going to try to increase the pressure on this one in June, and try to hit the target by the end of the month. (That said, there is something to be said for never quite hitting the target, as doing so forces a continuation of the diet, where a completed goal could result in back-sliding. Hmm...)
  5. New skill. Deferred until July.
  6. Car fund. This should complete at the end of this week. Next Thursday, my car goes for its MOT, at which point I'll learn whether I actually need a new car or not.
  7. General finances. The Grand Experiment is two-thirds complete, and should finish in June, at which point I will take a decision on which supermarket to use. Additionally, my credit card bill (which I pay in full each month) should return to the 'comfortable' threshold in June, having jumped when I bought the flat.
  8. Band. We did better at Dunbar than last year, and qualified at the first Major of the season, although we haven't placed in the prizes. This looks to be going well. The earliest we could complete this goal is by the end of July; a more realistic appraisal should really be done in mid-September, though, once the season is finished.
  9. The house move. All being well, I'm going to start setting up bookshelves in the Purple Room at the end of July. However, this is contingent on factors outwith my control.
  10. TV. "24" finished last night (though I haven't watched it yet), "Fringe" finished on Sunday (likewise), "Prison Break" finished last week (same), and "Bones" finishes on Thursday. Despite having picked up "Lie to Me" and "Dollhouse", my TV-viewing is starting to look a bit sparse. This means is that I should complete this goal, if only by default, some time next week.
  11. RPGs.The first of four remaining sessions in the "Star Wars Saga Edition" campaign was on Saturday. It was good, but it was also pretty obvious that the campaign has lost a lot of energy in the break. I'm now more convinced that it was the right decision to cut it short. That campaign will probably conclude in July, and the next begin in mid-September, thus completing this goal.

No comments: