Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Grand Experiment: Week Seven

Most of the bananas I bought last week collapsed in a mushy heap very quickly. I was most disappointed in that. And a lot of the sandwich meat I bought likewise had to be thrown away, having gone off. This dismayed me more than a little.

This week saw me purchasing a fair amount of frozen fruit (for smoothies), and some bottled water. I know: bottled water is an abomination, especially when living in a region where the tap water is indistinguishable from the bottled. However, I feel justified in this action: after six months of refilling, my previous three bottles had turned brown, and therefore needed replaced. It wasn't the water that I needed; it was the bottles.

In any event, neither of these two will be charged to the total. Conversely, I will be charging some milk to the total - I ran out on Tuesday, just after the store closed, and so had to make an alternate arrangement.

It's safe to say that Morrisons won't be winning this one: not only are they not the cheapest supermarket, but they really aren't convenient either.

Anyway, the list was as follows:

  • Frozen Pineapple, £2.49
  • Frozen Summerfruits, £2.00
  • Frozen Black Forest Fruit, £2.00
  • Irn Bru (24 cans), £4.82
  • Sandwich Meat, £5.00
  • Tinned Tuna (4), £2.69
  • Cannellini Beans (1 tin), £0.40
  • Yoghurts (6), £2.96
  • Basil, £0.69
  • Olives, £1.49
  • Salad Tomatoes (12), £1.76
  • Water (3 x 1.5l), £1.56
  • Cherry Tomatoes, £0.74
  • Vine-ripened Tomatoes, £1.39
  • Almonds (300g), £3.00
  • Lettuce, £0.50
  • Apples (6), £1.59
  • Dishwasher Tablets (42), £4.89

The total for the week came to £39.97. From this, I have to subtract £6.49 for the frozen fruit and £1.56 for the water, but add £1.86 for the milk. This gives a revised total of £33.78.

This brings the running total for Morrisons to £110.06, leaving £13.30 for next week's shop. Somehow, I doubt that that is a reasonable target. And then, it's off to Asda, to see if they can do better.

No comments: