Friday, May 03, 2019

Anna Karenina

After a mere four months (and a bit), I've finally finished the last novel I started in 2018. I made the mistake of starting "Anna Karenina" on the flight out to France, when I really should have chosen something easier to read. I then made the further mistake of thinking I would read a part at a time, taking a break between for other things. What I should have done, and what I ended up doing for the latter half of the book, was reading a few chapters every day while reading other things in parallel.

Anyway, it's done now.

Sadly, I wasn't overly impressed. Mostly, my issue was that it was an awfully long novel in which not a great deal happened, with slightly more than half of it not even being about Anna at all, but rather about the young nobleman Levin's search for love and fulfilment. And while that was fine, it wasn't all that interesting - I'm afraid I found Pierre Bezukhov's quest in "War and Peace" rather more compelling.

The other big problem is that I really couldn't find much sympathy for Anna herself. While I understand and can accept the unfairness of her situation, and indeed the hypocracy of Society in that their judgement falls on her and not men in a similar position, my big problem is that she spends most of the book making everyone around her miserable. Even her death isn't actually a result of Society's unfairness towards her, but rather a spiteful attempt to make her lover feel bad. (After which there followed another fifty pages of Levin's story as he plods through a spiritual revelation.)

The upshot is that where "War and Peace" could just about be crammed into a 6-hour mini-series quite well (apart from the unfortunate shoehorning in of an incestuous sub-plot, since everyone wants to be "Game of Thrones" these days), "Anna Karenina" can quite comfortably be chopped down to a 2.5 hour film starring Keira Knightly.

Oh well, it's done now.

#19: "Anna Karenina", by Leo Tolstoy (a book from The List)

No comments: