Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Good Things About the "Game of Thrones" Finale

Before I rant properly, I should first note that I've actually been a fan of just about everything in the first five episodes of this season of "Game of Thrones". In particular, the events of the previous episode were something I found quite shocking at the time, but which were actually obvious in retrospect. The only real problem, both with that twist and indeed with the last two seasons as a whole, was just that they were far too rushed - everything was happening so fast that nothing really got a proper build-up. But then, given that too much modern fantasy (including some of the earlier seasons) moves far too slowly, I wasn't too unhappy with that.

Unfortunately...

The finale was almost entirely terrible, but there are at least some good things about it:

Firstly, I particularly enjoyed the bold creative decision to rush the whole of the last two seasons so as to make time in the finale for a 6-hour shot of Arya, Jon, and Sansa slowly walking from the left of the screen to the right. That's the sort of inspired creative genius that's been missing from TV for far too long. Marvellous!

Additionally, this has the big advantage that I now know not to bother with the last two novels in the series, if indeed they are ever published. After all, there are two reasons to read them: to see the end, or to enjoy the journey. But we've now seen the end (and it's not worth it), and the previous two novels have been deeply underwhelming (the series dealt with both in season 5, and they were all the better for that compression). So if neither the journey nor the ending promise to reward the investment, why bother?

Oh, and I also know not to bother with the next Star Wars trilogy either - since Benioff and Weiss are responsible for both the debacle that was the end of "Lost" and the disaster that was the end of "Game of Thrones", why would I think they'll do better with Star Wars?

So that was that. The greatest TV spectacle of the modern age is now over. And it should have ended an hour sooner.

1 comment:

Kezzie said...

I knew that Bran would end up in that role! I've only watched the last 4 episodes (and the one where Joffrey died, where the old King was killed by Tyrion and when the dragon became a whitewalker) but I somehow got sucked in!