Monday, May 13, 2019

"The Orville" and "Star Trek: Discovery"

I was very glad to see yesterday that "The Orville" has been renewed for a third season. I've very much enjoyed the two seasons thus far - it very much reminds me of the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" of old, and indeed deliberately so. Though part of me kinda wishes they formally drop the jokes and just go full-on sci-fi - I've found that a lot of the comedy seems to fall flat and that the show is actually at its best when it tackles the more contemplative aspects.

By contrast, I'm not enjoying "Star Trek: Discovery" so much, though it's entirely possible that it just hasn't had enough time to grow on me (I'm nine episodes into the first season). It just seems excessively grim to me. Though part of my dissatisfaction with the show is perhaps partly because it starts with an image of a show that I suspect I'd rather watch - the one where Michelle Yeoh's Captain Philippa Georgiou leads her crew on a voyage of exploration around the galaxy. (And it seems there's a spin-off in the works, so who knows?)

All that said, I'm a little bemused by the arguments over what is the 'true' successor to "Star Trek". In large part because D&D had an identical argument about a decade ago, when the fans split between the controversial 4th edition and the pseudo-clone Pathfinder. (FWIW, my view is "Discovery" is "Star Trek", though a different Trek to what we've seen before. "The Orville" is not Trek, although it is something very close. But neither distinction is anything to do with quality.)

Ultimately, though, I'm inclined to ask: why choose? If you like "Star Trek: Discovery", watch that. If you like "The Orville", watch that. If you don't like either, don't watch either - there's plenty of other things to do. And if you like both, well...

#20: "Transition", by Iain Banks (sadly, not one I'd recommend)
#21: "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", by C.S. Lewis (a book for Funsize; a book from The List)

No comments: