Monday, October 02, 2023

Experimental Cookery 2023: Blackberry and Apple Crumble

Excuse me while I wax nostalgic for a moment...

Growing up we had a variety of desserts, often fruit-based (a particular 'favourite' was tinned peaches with condensed milk). In hindsight, this was largely a consequence of my parents raising a large family on a single income. Unfortunately, as time went on the stresses of this got to Mum, and desserts became even more constrained by the need to be extremely convenient as well - fruit sponge was replaced with 'treacle' sponge as the latter could be made in the microwave.

I have, of course, made crumble before. However, I think the last time was back when I was in high school. And, like the aforementioned fruit sponge, these are the sorts of desserts that we used to enjoy that we just don't have any more.

The method for this one came out of Mary Berry's "Simple Comforts". I make no apology for using a recipe for this rather than doing it from memory - that is, after all, what we have recipes for.

Needless to say, this is quick and easy to put together. I spent more time peeling and chopping apples than I did on anything else, and I didn't spend much time even on that. Then it went into the oven, and was forgotten about for 45 minutes.

In terms of taste and feel, this was great. A real nostalgic treat. And, yes, I'd certainly have this again, despite my total inability to persuade Funsize either to help with the cooking or indeed to eat any of it.

All in all, that's a win in my book.

No comments: