Monday, October 23, 2023

New Worlds to Conquer

Originally, this post was going to be entitled "no more worlds to conquer", and was going to note that the NAS was something I regarded as my 'last' big purchase - it essentially completed the set of things I wanted to own, and thereafter purchases would be a matter of updates and replacements. At least until something new changed the game.

However, over the weekend I realised that there remain two more 'things' to be considered, things that were actually enabled by the NAS, and having the data populated (at least in part):

  • At some stage I would like to set up most or all of our rooms with suitable tablets/speakers to access content from the NAS. These can be relatively basic, in that I'd like them to be able to handle streamed music and internet radio, and not much else. Even viewing video files it probably beyond the scope of what I'd envisaged... although, maybe.
  • The other thing, coming out of having those very tablets, is that it then becomes practical, nay easy, to set up a home automation setup - smart lightbulbs everywhere, smart plugs in key locations, and so on.

Neither of these is urgent, of course, and neither of them is a one-and-done project (they can easily be built up over time). But they would, I think, represent genuine improvements in our quality of life, which is obviously something to at least consider.

No comments: