Monday, October 16, 2023

In Which I Am Less Right

Last night Spain did Scotland a favour and beat Norway. The consequence of that is that Scotland have now qualified for the Euro 2024 competition. Huzzah!

A few years ago I made a rather pessimistic prediction that Scotland's men would never again qualify for a major tournament this side of independence. Obviously, independence has not occurred. (I did put a caveat on that "unless they change the rules to basically let anyone in", which is why I don't count Euro 2020 - the "UEFA Nations League" basically meets that criterion.)

Anyway, the upshot of all of that is that I was, quite obviously, wrong in that prediction. Happily so.

(It's just as well, really  - given that the SNP basically gave up on independence some years ago, the prospect of independence within my lifetime is essentially over.)

Anyway, now the challenge is to try to finish top of the group, but more importantly to then try to get out of the group stage in the tournament itself and achieve our best-ever result. But that's a problem for another day. For today, it's all to the good.

No comments: