Monday, October 30, 2023

Experimental Cookery 2023: Slow-cooker Pumpkin and Beef Brisket Chilli

Until yesterday I had somehow never cooked with pumpkin. I'd always been intrigued by them, but we only ever had one for carving, and I'd never quite found a use. But this month's Tesco magazine has a couple of good slow-cooker recipes, and with there being the annual Halloween event on Saturday I thought this would be an ideal pre-event repast.

Well, it would have been, except that I ended up cooking it on Sunday rather than Saturday, and then we barely ate any of it. This weekend has not been the most successful.

Anyway, this was quick and easy to put together, as is generally the case with slow cooker recipes. And then it was just a matter of waiting for a very long time.

The result was... interesting. It's very different from the chillies I've made in the past, though that's not necessarily a bad thing - it was considerably meatier but with essentially no heat at all. As I said, it would probably have been just the thing for us all to have in rolls before heading out to the village Halloween event.

Oh well. Maybe next year - because this is one I do intend to do again.

No comments: